Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Now on Instagram!

Instagram

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Teaser Tuesday #67

 Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
 
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
 BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers
 
The Bitter Trade
 
Summary:
 
The Bitter Trade is a historical adventure set during the Glorious Revolution: Rebellious silk trader Calumny Spinks must become a coffee racketeer and join the conspiracy against the King to save his father’s life.

In 1688, torn by rebellions, England lives under the threat of a Dutch invasion. Redheaded Calumny Spinks is the lowliest man in an Essex backwater: half-French and still unapprenticed at seventeen, yet he dreams of wealth and title.

When his father’s violent past resurfaces, Cal’s desperation leads him to become a coffee racketeer. He has just three months to pay off a blackmailer and save his father’s life - but his ambition and talent for mimicry pull him into a conspiracy against the King himself.

Cal’s journey takes him from the tough life of Huguenot silk weavers to the vicious intrigues at Court. As the illicit trader Benjamin de Corvis and his controlling daughter Emilia pull him into their plots, and his lover Violet Fintry is threatened by impending war, Cal is forced to choose between his conscience and his dream of becoming Mister Calumny Spinks.
  
Summary & Cover taken from Goodreads.com
Length: 448 pages (Paperback)
Publication Date: June 26th 2014 by Tenderfoot (first published April 3rd 2014)
 
 
Pg. 42
 
I looked around at my pale and shaking father. The raindrops fell in chilly clumps now, and my shirt was soaked through. Still I stared at Peter, and he back at me, wincing every few paces as the wagon bounced along the roadway. His eyes were read; he was as guilty as I. He spoke my name again, and I opened my mouth to curse him.
 
if-youre-here-blinkie 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating book. There's a lot of topics that are covered that I know very little about. I like the intro. I'll definitely have to look out for this one! Are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good Katherine! Different but very well written.

      Delete

I love your comments! So feel free to comment away I'll try to answer every post so check back! . Also feel free to leave a link to your blog and I will absolutely follow you back :) Happy Reading!
*Note: This is an award free blog, thanks for thinking of me but I simply don't have the time to pass it along!